Thursday, August 02, 2018

Favorite Books/Authors

Challenged to post the dust jackets of 7 favorite books (on Facebook), WITHOUT any explanation, I spent a week contemplating the possibilities.

First, for the sake of simplicity, I am limiting my choices to fiction.

Second, I decided to divide my life into decades.  That made it easier to select a favorite from that time in my reading life, despite the fact that ten years is too long of a period for choosing just one favorite.

Third, as I was jotting down titles, I realized that many were part of a series by a single author.

Finally, in order to ease the pain of not defending myself (the selected book titles) on Facebook, I am logging my opinions here, where I can later re-examine them.


Elementary Age (0-9yrs)



I loved reading biographies and have very pleasant memories of library time in elementary school.

The one book cover to make the cut is Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder, probably because it fits the series approach for cataloging my reading experiences.












Youth (10-19)




I remember loving historical fiction/romance, and started collecting books for my own library.

Lighthouse by Eugenia Price, the first in a trilogy about St Simons Island, is a clear favorite from this time period, in addition to being a favorite vacation spot.












Young Adult (20-29)




I first read Gail Godwin, the author of A Southern Family, during this decade, and did not re-visit her until my forties, when I read five of hers in a row.
















Adult (30-39)




Frankly, in my twenties and thirties, I read mostly non-fiction (theology, childbirth, and parenting stuff).  So, anything I read during this decade was very light.  I only finished four in this particular series but it fits my taste for historical fiction.















Adult (40-49)


Over the years, I have revisited this Georgia author sporadically.


This title I enjoyed so much that I bought another and gave it to a good friend.


The first Terry Kay novel that I read was The Year the Lights Came On.











Adult (50-59)




Not too long after I read this book, I heard author Susan Vreeland speak at The High Museum.  What a treat.

Girl in Hyacinth Blue was the first of hers that I read, but not before I'd been introduced to Chevalier's Girl with a Pearl Earring.

In comparison, I prefer Vreeland's novels over Chevalier's.

I was sorry to read that Vreeland died about this time last year (August 2017) at age 71.








Adult (60)



Just now finishing up this 14th novel by Jan Karon, I can wholeheartedly recommend all the Mitford novels.

"I feel like I am there" when I read about Mitford.  It's like a mini-vacation.  Relaxing.

Oh! and I recommend Esther's Orange Marmalade cake, which I have personally baked and shared.




1 comment:

  1. What fun to review books by the decade! You must have kept great records? Or else you have a great memory. I didn't start cataloguing my books until I was in my 40s.

    ReplyDelete