Friday, August 11, 2006

Setting the Table
Just to give you an idea from last year's celebration, I'm posting this photo. This year's table setting uses a lime green cloth and napkins! Dishes are off-white with blue trim. Each place will have a knife, fork, spoon, dessert fork, and glass. Do you set the table completely for each meal in your home?

The colors and shapes on the plate have always captured my interest. In the case of our Low Country Boil, consider: The shrimp are pink and crescent-shaped. The sausage is red and log-like. The yellow/white corn is cylindrical or silo-like. The potatoes are small and spherical. The salad is very green, light and fluffy. Lest you think I a little *loco* with my efforts, consult my mentor, Mrs. Schaeffer, in her chapter on food, pgs 122-123, in Hidden Art of Homemaking.

A plate can be though of at times as a kind of *still life* - not a lasting one, of course, but lasting in memory. Dishes should be apart of the background for the colours of the food, and as one chooses dishes there should be some variety - even if the dishes are polished pieces of wood, shells, or large leaves from the jungle!

See my Fine Art Friday entry on my xanga site, too :)

2 comments:

  1. Dana it looks very inviting. Very. Inviting. What a festive celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand perfectly what you mean about color and shape, and I'll include texture.
    You've set an inviting table in this photo. I'd like to give more attention to these details, and bring my youngest children along side to learn and enjoy.
    We're having a birthday dinner tomorrow, and I'm keeping your tips in mind as I plan. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete