Monday, February 23, 2009

Myers and Murder Mystery

Great art, she felt, had a calming effect on the viewer. It made one
stop in awe, which is exactly what Damien Hirst and Andy Warhol did
not do
. You didnt stop in awe; they stopped you in your tracks
perhaps, but that wasnt the same thing as awe. Awe was something entirely
different.



These are the words of Isabel Dalhousie, the main character in Alexander McCall Smith's book, The Sunday Philosophy Club (chapt 21), which I listened to over the weekend and reviewed here.

It may seem that I'm stuck in chapter seven of Ken Myer's book, All God's Children and Blue Suede Shoes, but I am continuing to mull over in my mind the pregnant propositions he's making. As such, it is particularly appropriate to remember the above quote by Dalhousie found in the light murder mystery I enjoyed on my weekend jaunt to see my daughters in Michigan.

In addition to being an amateur sleuth, Dalhousie appreciates fine art. That means that I need to go back through the book and make a list of the paintings she has in her own home plus highlight the description of a suspect's living room in which she mentions over six artists.

Where are you finding applications of your Myers' reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment