Thursday, February 18, 2010

1-2-3-4 Cake
(my grandmother's recipe)

1 C real butter
2 C granulated white sugar
3 C sifted flour (sift all purpose flour then measure out)
4 eggs (5 are better, but then the *title* doesnt match)



3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 C water (or milk)



Sift together dry ingredients and set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs on at the time. Alternately add water and flour mixture. Add vanilla.

Bake in three 9" prepared cake pans at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

Invert pans onto wire racks and remove cakes from pans immediately to prevent overcooking.


I like to cover each layer with damp paper towel, while they cool.

















Do you have a favorite yellow cake recipe?

2 comments:

  1. I make a similar coconut cake from an old Southern Living cookbook but I use yellow cake mix :)

    I love this damp paper towel idea. I don't make cakes often because I can't seem to get them out of the pans intact. And yes I flour and grease the pans. I don't know what my problem is but it is consistent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using a cake mix would speed up this 4-hour process, Cindy.

    In addition to greasing and flouring my pans, I always line them with wax paper. Maybe trying that will help your sticky problem ;-)

    ReplyDelete