Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lighthearted Economics


Grossly Underpaid


An investigator for the Anti-Poverty Commission was recently asked to check on reports that a farmer was pay­ing his help below-standard wages.


He went out to the farm and was introduced to all of the hired hands.



"This here is Gordon," said the farmer. "He milks the cows and works in the fields and he gets $45 a week.

"This is Billy Joe, the other hired man. He works in the fields and tends the stock and he gets $40 a week.

"And this young lady is Sue Ann. She cooks and keeps house and she gets $30 a week, room and board."

"Fair enough so far," said the inspector. "Is there any­one else?"

"Only the half-wit," answered the farmer. "He gets $10 a week, tobacco, room and board."

"Aha," said the inspector. "I'd like to speak to him."

"You're talk in' to him right now," replied the farmer.


Borrowed from the Freeman archives.


Let me know if you read the entire article. I stubbled across the joke when I was searching for Yale Brozen's June 1968, The Untruth of the Obvious.




4 comments:

  1. Good job, Dana, just what the Dr ordered.

    Oh and something you said about minimum wage. When we had our lawn business, the kids made money but my husband never saw a cent.

    I PLAN to read the article. I will come back and comment when I accomplish the task.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I think economics can lend itself to lots of humor, usually black humor :-).

    I plan on posting some economics tidbits later and yes, some black humor will be included!

    Once we had a business which employed several people, all highly paid because of their technical expertise. My husband was the most expert but the least paid and he provided vacations but never took one. There was a small recession and business went down. Steve continued to pay everyone, but we ended up losing our house trying to keep up with the payroll. It was providential as it helped nudge us to move out of the Bay Area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! the joys of being self-employed. Yes, we understand completely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comic relief.

    I have never told you this, but I always appreciate your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete