Sunday, September 20, 2009

Leisure: The Basis of Culture

Towards the end of the apology on leisure, Josef Pieper imagines that someone may well ask -

What are we to do about it?

Well, the considerations put forward in this essay were NOT designed to give advice and draw up a line of action; they were meant to make men think.

In that sense, with me, he accomplished the goal.

But I also want to talk about it...... I think because I'm dedicated to hope.

bearing in mind your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the presence of our God and Father, I Thess 1:3

Hope inspires me to action. My moving and being each and every day are nothing but preparation for that day of leisure, in which I consciously remove myself from the world of work, means, and industry.

I focus on faith, festival, and feasting.

Specifically, I've learned the language and vocabulary of my faith. Words like regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification.

Those words inspire me to order my six days in anticipation of that seventh one, which is the highlight - a festival celebrated weekly.

Last but not least, I feast on Sundays, not just by partaking in the Lord's Supper, but by sharing a meal afterwards with fellow believers.

These are just a few of my thoughts about redeeming the time, recapturing culture, and breinging all thoughts captive to the Savior.

It's not that difficult.

It's as straightforward as getting ready for church.

See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment