Wednesday, April 07, 2010

LINES WRITTEN IN EARLY SPRING

Strictly speaking it's early Spring here in north Georgia, but we've had a string of unusually high temperatures (87 degrees yesterday) making it seem like early Summer.

Everyone is outside enjoying Nature.

Wordsworth who penned I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud sums it up very well in this seasonal verse written earlier in his career.

Today's his birthday as well.  Visit his homepage.

I HEARD a thousand blended notes,
While in a grove I sate reclined,
In that sweet mood when pleasant thoughts
Bring sad thoughts to the mind.


To her fair works did Nature link
The human soul that through me ran;
And much it grieved my heart to think
What man has made of man.


Through primrose tufts, in that green bower,
The periwinkle trailed its wreaths;
And 'tis my faith that every flower
Enjoys the air it breathes.


The birds around me hopped and played,
Their thoughts I cannot measure:--
But the least motion which they made
It seemed a thrill of pleasure.


The budding twigs spread out their fan,
To catch the breezy air;
And I must think, do all I can,
That there was pleasure there.

If this belief from heaven be sent,
If such be Nature's holy plan,
Have I not reason to lament
What man has made of man?


Williams Wordsworth, 1798
English Romantic Poet



Side Note ~
William's brother, Christopher wrote the words to one of my favorite hymns: 
 O day of rest and gladness

No comments:

Post a Comment