Thursday, April 29, 2010

Teacher


Child, though I tell you in this sunlit cove

This cup of captive sea is ever blue,

For you it may be equally as true


That it is nacre, emerald, taupe or mauve.



Youth, though I say to you our days are scrolled
In hues allied to charcoal, chalk or steel,
For you it may be equally as real
To name them carmine, coral, or yet gold.

Experience and age have tossed a bone:
The right to paint life as it seems to me,
And you may heed the colors that I see,
But never let them blind you to your own.



Ethel Barnett de Vito
McCalls Magazine, September 1960


This poem caught my eye as I was perusing my personal anthology and think that it's a nice compliment to Dominion Family's ongoing examination of schooling.  Specifically, here's a link to one didactic post describing two types of teachers.

What kind are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment