Sunday, October 22, 2006

Valley of Vision

First Day Morning

O Lord,
I commune with thee every day, but week days are worldly days, and secular concerns reduce heavenly impressions.

I bless thee therefore for the day sacred to my soul when I can wait upon thee and be refreshed;

I thank thee for the institutions of religion by use of which I draw near to thee and thou to me;

I rejoice in another Lord's Day when I call off my mind from the cares of the world and attend upon thee without distraction;

Let my retirement be devout, my conversation edifying, my reading pious, my hearing profitable, that my soul may be quickened and elevated.

I am going to the house of prayer, pour upon me the spirit of grace and supplication. I am going to the house of praise, awaken in me every grateful and cheerful emotion, I am going to the house of instruction, give testimony to the Word preached, and glorify it in the hearts of all who hear; may it enlighten the ignorant, awaken the careless, reclaim the wandering, establish the weak, comfort the feeble-minded, and make ready a people for their Lord.

Be a sanctuary to all who cannot come. Forget not those who never come, And do thou bestow upon me benevolence towards my dependents, forgiveness towards my enemies, peaceableness towards my neighbors, openness towards my fellow-Christians.

Amen.

1 comment:

  1. "Let my retirement be devout, my conversation edifying, my reading pious, my hearing profitable, that my soul may be quickened and elevated."

    Wonderful words. Thanks, Dana.

    ReplyDelete