Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Assurance

Assurance of my salvation is not something that I have struggled with, but I did hear a phrase in this past week's sermon that would be good to use when explaining assurance to someone else. We're studying Thessalonians.

In the spirit of foreknowledge or predestination, which is so offensive to many, I know that God chose me. And while it did reduce me to tears when I realized this and queried *Why me?*, it was not the moment that I was saved. The two were years apart. He was continuing to draw me. John 3:44

At any rate, if I were to explain assurance to another I would focus on the fact that God made the decision to save me. I did not decide to save myself.

Because God is great, all-powerful, all-knowing, immutable (all those perfections), He does not made bad decisions. And He does not change His mind. He chose me once at for all. Two thousand years ago, Christ knew my name. Long before I was born physically on earth.

That means I dont have to worry.

It also means that I am His bond-servant.

May I be faithful witness.

1 comment:

  1. i understand the "drawn" and "chosen"--it was evident to me at age 4 or 5 that God was very much interested in my life, and wanted to take part. i have struggled over the years somewhat with the idea that i was drawn but my sister didn't seem to be, and God's participation in my life over the years has been my salvation, in more than one sense!

    ReplyDelete