Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Happy Fall Y'all
















Cutest jack-o-lantern I have ever seen.

Such creativity! I never would have thought to use the stem for the nose. I probably wouldnt have even bought that pumpkin because it looks like it would not sit up straight. Oh well.

Kudos to the artist.

See some of her photography here.

Fall is an identifiable season in my neck of the woods and I always enjoy it: the colors, the leaves, the food. Except I don't like it when it gets dark really early. And so, that's why I think I'll say I like Spring better.

Halloween can put a damper on the season, too. Without being a total stick-in-the-mud, I tried assiduously to avoid celebrating this holiday. When my children were very small, they were truly frightened by the constant doorbell ringing and the people dressed up in costumes. Because they attended a Christian elementary school, we didnt have too much trouble avoiding trick or treating. There were Fall Festivals or Reformation Day Fairs which provided good alternate activities.

But in the neighborhood if we were at home, I would buy candy and hand it out to the few visitors who came by. Mostly I would try and schedule a night away from home. It became traditional to see a movie, nothing scary. And horror is totally off limits. Something historical like Luther or Cromwell.

Here's the whole pumpkin family...on Fall Break.

2 comments:

  1. How clever is that to use the stem for the nose!

    I love that :o)

    I saw a family from you town on tv last night! Now what on earth was I watching???

    Are you suffering from the drought?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pumpkins! How creative!

    I know what you mean about trick or treaters. In our case I just wish they wouldn't be so greedy, some of the children don't even dress up and knock at the door and expect money. I don't like that.

    ReplyDelete