Friday, October 19, 2007

Ideas Have Consequences

By the time I was 17 yrs old I had a solid grip on what I believed about the world/people/things because my parents had done a good job. I understood even then that I was *philosophically-driven*, but I wasnt good at explaining to others why I believed what I did. Somehow the explanation *that's what my father says* didnt seem like the proper way to defend my positions. Pursuing a college degree filled in those gaps for me.



At Hillsdale College I was exposed to leaders/thinkers/writers who explained the reasons behind what my parents had taught me to be true and right. I read their books, listened to their lectures, and conversed personally with movers and shakers of Conservatism. That was my first introduction to Weaver's Ideas Have Consequences and a host of other authors and their books. Weaver had had an enormous influence on the post-war Intellectual Right and Hillsdale was a bastion of those young conservative intellectuals who were trying to champion freedom and tradition.



The edition of IHC in my library was printed in 1971, and published by The University of Chicago Press. I probably bought it at Hillsdale College (bookstore), where I attended from 1975 to 1978, graduating with a BA in History with French and German minors.

This morning I've re-read the Forward which Mr Weaver wrote over a decade after the initial publication in 1948. He does not feel compelled to make revisions, which I think is a good sign. I find it interesting that Mr Weaver was an English professor since the book is classified as *philosophy.* He does not feel that it is such.

It is an intuition of a situation.

He intended to challenge the forces which threaten civilization.

Sounds revolutionary, huh?

For those of you who are following our internet discussion, I post the Table of Contents. And because it's something I pay attention to.

Introduction (never, ever skip reading the introduction, forward, preface, or such)
I. The Unsentimental Sentiment
II. Distinction and Hierarchy
III. Fragmentation and Obession
IV. Egotism in Work and Art
V. The Great Steropticon
VI. The Spoiled-Child Psychology
VII. The Last Metaphysical Right
VIII.The Power of the Word
IX. Piety and Justice
Acknowledgments

How do you know about Ideas Have Consequences?

No comments:

Post a Comment