Thursday, July 23, 2009

Gazpacho


















First introduced to this summer soup, I was a teenager and we didnt use air conditioning.

We ate later in the evenings, enjoying cold soups (cucumber or spinach) and other vegetarian fare, i.e. flat rocks.

Then in 1995, I made gazpacho for the first time myself. It's the perfect hot weather meal!

Start with 6 cups V-8 juice and 6 cups ordinary tomato juice in a very large stock pot. Add the following veggies. Chill well before serving. Top with croutons, if desired.

8 cloves garlic, crushed
8 Tbs olive oil
12 Tbs wine vinegar
4 tsp salt
4 tsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp black pepper, ground
24 drops tabasco

10 tomatoes, peeled and diced
6 ribs celery, diced
3 cucumber, peeled and diced
6 spring onions, chopped
1 green pepper, diced
some chives, chopped
some parsley, chopped

Makes one gallon.

Store in glass container.

Keeps up to a week, refrigerated.

7 comments:

  1. I love gazpacho and your recipe is very similar to mine. I think mine has just a bit of Italian drsg in it. Haven't made it yet this summer b/c it's been so cool & rainy the tomatoes aren't very prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Poiema, I posted this at the request of DD#2 who is living in Chicago and wanted to fix a batch :)

    I really have enjoyed keeping better track of my recipes via blogging. My ones on Xanga need more specific tags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious -- I'm going to print this out. We've been using a lot of cold soups this summer, and making things in the morning that we can serve chilled for supper. It sure has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI - Kelly, I've never prepared this recipe in these smaller proportions....always have more than four to serve :) and start with about 12 cups V-8!

    Now I'm getting a hankerin' for some...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks -- that's what I was figuring on, two of those gigantic cans of V-8.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Update - july 14, 2010 ~
    fyi I changed the recipe to show the larger quantities that I actually use to make this fabulous summertime meal.

    ReplyDelete