Sunday, December 09, 2007

Baptism

Sunday, December 9, 1984
















Here's a family photo taken after church on the day of our first child's baptism. I thought of it because this weekend I've been addressing Christmas cards and we included this picture that year...exactly 23 years ago.

I like to re-listen to a recording of what the minister actually said. We have audio from two of the our four baptisms. I'm not sure how/why we're missing two.

No doubt you recognize these promises:

Acts 2:39

For to you is the promise, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call unto him.

Gen 17:7

And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee throughout their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a a God unto thee and to thy seed after thee.

Acts 16:31

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, thou and thy house.


Then we were asked the following questions to which we answered affirmatively:

1) Do you acknowledge your child's need of the cleansing blood of Jesus Christ, and the renewing grace of the Holy Spirit?

2) Do you claim God's covenant promises in her behalf, and do you look in faith to the Lord Jesus Christ for her salvation, as you do for your own?

3) Do you now unreservedly dedicate your child to God, and promise, in humble reliance upon divine grace, that you will endeavor to set before her a godly example, that you will pray with and for her, that you will teach her the doctrines of our holy religion, and that you will strive, by all means of God's appointment, to bring her up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord?



I dont remember much about the service after that because I think she and I exited for a feeding.

After church we traditionally had dinner together, and this Sabbath was no different. Grandma had come over from Charleston, SC, and we were living with my folks, so they were there. Usually I remember Sunday dinners right down to the very last detail, but in this case I only recall the Haagen-Dazs ice cream cake we had for dessert. Yum!

Here she is now....with her father :)















Ps 147:1 Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him!

Ps147:11 the Lord delights in those who fear him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.


What do you know about your baptism?

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sending this! Dean actually found it while he was playing with his phone before Sunday school class yesterday after church. This then lead to the ladies in the group seeing a picture of all my sisters that we pulled up on his phone as well. :-) We're staying busy and I'm trying to decide what to do about a Christmas card. :-)

    Love, Giles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana,
    Love these kinds of posts. I see you were always the southern girl in pearls.

    What a blessing to hear of the goodness of God to the children of men!

    ReplyDelete