Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Economics for Children a la Richard Scarry

In just a few short weeks (that's January 7th), our *blogging bookclub* will read and review Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson. This book was chosen because we were disappointed in our incorrect answers to economics-related questions found in this online quiz.

So, in preparation for this assignment, I've scoured my bookshelves in search of all things Richard Scarry, the author of many a child's favorite books.



Today I commend to you his What People Do All Day because it illustrates clearly basic economic principles. This book is classified as juvenile non-fiction and proves that it is never too early to start teaching our children economic theory, poetry, or etymology.




Here's a quick list of the chapter titles:

1) What Do People Do All Day?
2) Everyone is a Worker
3) Building a New House
4) Mailing a Letter
5) Firemen to the Rescue
6) A Visit to the Hospital
7) The Train Trip
8) The Story of Seeds
9) Wood and How We Use It
10)Building a New Road
11)A Voyage on a Ship
12)Where Bread Comes From


There is a companion title by Scarry called The Busiest People Ever, and it includes a chapter *Busy House Workers*, which is unfortunately omitted from the newer editions of What Do People Do. I can remember spending hours looking at Scarry books, pouring over the details and pictures.

Do you own any Scarry?

It wont take you an hour to read this fine article about one father who reads to his youngsters, teaching economics at a very early age. Even philosophy can be taught early on ....and not by reading aloud Richard Weaver's Ideas Have Consequences, but by recording for posterity Yellow and Pink, an out-of-print volume which is charming. It's never to early to talk about the first question of the Children's Catechism.

It is always perplexed me when someone asks a SAHM *What do you do all day*. I guess I am at a loss for words because it seems so obvious to me that taking care of a family is a full-time job full of all kinds of tasks, no matter whether your children are younger or older. Have any of us consider how we will keep our children connected after they are grown and married? While my mother has never worked outside the home, she has to be one of the most industrious people I know. Here's a link to how she stays busy.

If that does not answer the insipid inquisitor's question, I guess I will refer him/her to Richard Scarry.


Oh, and the word derivation assignment for today is *economics* . Answers in this link :)

6 comments:

  1. Oh! We read so many Richard Scarry books (over and over again) to our boys when they were young! I never even thought about the economic principles being taught through them. Now I can't wait to read them to my (future) grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our Scarry book was worn to threads.

    Katie has never seen one.

    We loved looking for the worm and the apple.

    p.s. Hope the girls arrived home safely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Richard Scarry books!

    I recently discovered, and have enjoyed reading posts by, your "blogging bookclub". I hope it's okay that I've decided to try to read along with you all as you read Economics in One Lesson. I know you said in this post you will be starting January 7th. Do you have a schedule of any sort in mind for the readings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I own and have read Economics in One Lesson, Yellow and Pink, and many Scarry books.

    I have never seen What Do People Do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Yes! Yes! I'm am WITH YOU on this bookclub adventure. I stunk on that quiz and economics has been on my back burner for far too long a time.

    And, my dear friend, you have given me a great idea for a book recording.
    Gavin's birthday is at the end of January, so all the books we don't get recorded by Christmas will be added to the birthday list.

    Did you know, you are a provoker, Dana? You provoke to love and good works!

    Thanks again,

    Carol in Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this brought back memories! My son and youngest daughter were nearly obsessed by Richard Scarry books. I think we own them all. Even now, my 8 yo daughter sometimes returns to them. She uses them now for art models when she wants to draw a piece of machinery. I never thought about the economics aspect of the books, but you are right on with that. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete