Friday, December 14, 2007

Family Tree




















Not exactly museum quality material but nevertheless very important artwork for our household because it was created by Grandpa Jago (d. 2001) and illustrates our genealogy back to the 18th century!!

As Christmas Day approaches, many get a pit in their stomachs wondering what they can give. Allow me to suggest this type of gift - that one of time well-spent. Many years ago, one of my sisters gave each of us the beginnings of a genealogy notebook. It may have been the topic of her required senior history thesis, but I know she spent a lot of time visiting relatives that year...some which I never had the chance to meet. Just this past week I telephoned an aunt and enjoyed a conversation about my grandmother/her mother.

This is a fantastic idea, low cost and truly one I've referred to often over the years.

Furthermore, I like the idea offered by Caroline Kennedy in a book of poetry dedicated to her mother. She relates that from a very early age her birthday/Christmas gift to her mother would be the recitation and or illustration of a poem.

What could be more simple, less expensive, or more priceless?

Now I'm off to search for that poem written for me by DD#2 a few Christmases ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment