Sunday, December 23, 2007

A Christmas Dinner



















Here's a different view of my dining room,
showing my china cabinet.














A close-up of my inexpensive centerpiece, made with discounted glass balls arranged in a glass bowl.






I'm pleased with the way the meat turned out. The recipe was easy.















Preheat the over to 500 degrees for 30 minutes. Make sure the meat is brought to temperature before you place it in the oven, cooking for 5 minutess per pound. Then turn off the oven. Do NOT open the door for three, even four hours. Slice as shown. Served au jus and with horseradish sauce. Oh, and sauteed button mushrooms!

Yes, I did sprinkle seasonings on top before roasting.


Here are the veggies ready to be steamed.


Do you like my Christmas theme?

Green and red!

Sorry, forgot to photograph the rice and the croissants.






We visited over coffee and opened a few presents.

Then it was time for dessert!

Poached Pear with Chocolate Sauce



















This meal was preceded by a wonderful worship service in which we sang some Christmas hymns, heard a sermon based on Psalm Four, celebrated the Lord's Supper, and ended with the psalter hymn based on Ps 4.

There is no day more special than one spent this way, especially this week :)



Update: We ended up drinking a Merlot (2005 Ghost Pines)

8 comments:

  1. How very lovely Dana!

    Thank you for the recipe. I am not the best at cooking a big roast.

    Merry Christmas to your family, Dana!

    Love,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait - I thought you were married to a teetotaler? Lovely menu and table setting. We have the extended family here for dinner tomorrow night, and I'm breaking over 40 years of family tradition by using disposable plates, napkins, and cups for the first time. Please pray that it goes over well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very lovely, Dana! It far exceeds our chili and fritoes dinner last night. I'm glad the Lord included the verses about a time and a season for everything. :o) I'd love to see a close-up of your dining room wallpaper. It looks quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I AM married to a teetotaler. Those wine glasses you see were for everyone else at the table. Thank goodness he doesnt forbid others from partaking :)

    Acutally I'm using some festive paper stuff for Christmas Day ham n' fixin's


    Lisa,
    Thanks for the compliment on my wallpaper...there are eleven colors in it :) I selected it fifteen years ago and I still like it.

    Dont get me wrong ladies...I like easy and hope that I know when to do it and when not.

    Remember last week we had soup and grilled cheese for Sunday dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas, Dana! You're my last stop tonight before la-la land. You inspired me today to print out our Christmas menu with a pretty border.

    I'm glad Steve's not a teetotaler (though Laura may wish her Steve was after nipping at his wine!) as I made up my own version of the wine-of-the-month club for his Christmas present, and got him a wine rack to go with it! Of course, he has to share.

    Hugs,
    Carmon

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's the name of your china pattern? I can never remember...and its so Momma. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Giles!!
    My pattern is Derby Border by Royal Crown Derby.

    You might have fun browsing over at www.replacements.com

    Would love to hug your neck :)

    TTYL

    ReplyDelete