Thursday, April 24, 2008

The Adoration



If I but had a little dress,
A little dress of the flax so fair
I’d take it from my clothespress
And give it to Him to wear,
To wear,
And give to Him to wear.


If I but had a little girdle
A girdle stained with the purple dye,
Or green as grass or green as myrtle
About His waist to tie,
To tie,
About His waist to tie!


If I but had a little coat,
A coat to fit a no-year old,
I’d button it close about His throat
To cover Him from the cold,
The cold,
To cover Him from the cold.


If I but had a little shoe,
A little shoe as might be found
I’d lace it on with a sheepskin thew
To keep His foot from the ground,
The ground,
To keep His foot from the ground.


If my heart were a shining coin,
A silver coin or a coin of gold
Out of my side I’d it purloin
And give it to Him to hold,
To hold,
And give it to Him to hold.


If my heart were a house also,
A house also with room to spare
I never would suffer my Lord to go
Homeless, but house Him there,
O there,
Homeless, but house Him there.


By Byron Herbert Reece
Georgia author and poet
1917 - 1958


Here's a link to a short biography of Reece, born not too far from where I live. In my research I discovered there's a trail near the AT named after him, a newly formed society to promote his work, and apparent funding to redevelop his farm and stage a heritage center. Even some of his sermon notes!

Sounds like a fun field trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment