Friday, April 04, 2008

Letter to World

This is my letter to the world,
That never wrote to me, --
The simple news that Nature told,
With tender majesty.



Her message is committed
To hands I cannot see;
For love of her, sweet countrymen,
Judge tenderly of me!

Emily Dickinson
American Poet
1830 - 1886



In my efforts to get to know Miss Dickinson better, I have particularly enjoyed the books of her poetry illustrated by Tasha Tudor. I'm hoping to collect them all.

She corresponded with a selected few. I suspect she would approve of the USPS's Power of the Letter campaign that I've had a lot of fun with recently. Did you notice the postmark on your first class letters during March?

For further research I'm planning to see The Belle of Amherst next week. It's playing at Marietta's Theater in the Square.

Do you have a favorite Emily Dickinson poem?



I posted hers about roses at my xanga site.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dana!

    My favorite of hers is still "There is no frigate like a book..."

    We all learn it, everyone knows it, but I still love it.

    I think I will now be known as Lynn in WI with DSL. :)

    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lynn!!

    So nice to have you visit. I thought about using the *Frigate* one...

    I have a journal just for keeping track of book quotes :)

    And now, another one of ladies reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to self:

    Save this Dickinson

    "Opinion is a flitting thing
    But truth, outlasts the sun;
    If we cannot own them both,
    Possess the oldest one."

    ReplyDelete