Monday, January 19, 2009

MLK Day and Mass Age

.
This particular Monday in January always makes me pause and reflect. I can remember being in the elevator in the Canon House Office Building with LPMcD, my boss and representative of the 7th District of Georgia. He was waxing eloquent about Newt Gingrich's first vote as a new member of the House (1979): one in favor of establishing this federal holiday.


It also makes me want to re-read the speech that accompanies Dr King's famous line *I have a dream*.

It makes me want to search Scripture and wonder to which chapter and verse Dr King was referring. Was it in Jeremiah?

Jeremiah 23
25.
"I have heard what the prophets say who prophesy lies
in my name. They say, 'I had a dream! I had a dream!'
26.
How long will
this continue in the hearts of these lying prophets, who prophesy the delusions
of their own minds?
27.
They think the dreams they tell one another will
make my people forget my name, just as their fathers forgot my name through Baal
worship.
28.
Let the prophet who has a dream tell his dream, but let the
one who has my word speak it faithfully. For what has straw to do with grain?"
declares the Lord.
29.
"Is not my word like fire," declares the Lord, "and
like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?
30.
"Therefore," declares the
Lord, "I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly
from me.
31.
Yes," declares the Lord, "I am against the prophets who wag
their own tongues and yet declare, 'The LORD declares.'
32.
Indeed, I am
against those who prophesy false dreams," declares the Lord. "They tell them and
lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint
them. They do not benefit these people in the least," declares the Lord.




It makes me really appreciate Blogger, a new cultural form, which has helped me keep track of my thoughts. Here's a link to a previous MLK Day entry.

Here's a link to some of my thoughts on integration.

Here's a link to how Alveda King, MLK's niece, thinks the dream incomplete. Do you know how your Senator or Representative feel about the Freedom of Choice Act.

And so, with respect to my current online book club where we are reading about Pop Culture (is there a war?), I wonder if the important focus is the message (mass age) or the medium on this holiday?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment