Saturday, September 29, 2007

Proof Positive

Here I am at the end of my two day hike.

I had a wonderful time.

Here are a few things I want to remember.

1) Boots would have been better. The soil was very rocky and tree roots were exposed, making it easy to trip over them.

2) Take an long-acting antihistamine BEFORE you leave. I remembered the Ibruprofen :)

3) Study the map more, especially ahead of time.

It's not that I didnt know where I was going, although that may be true. We did not get lost. I dont quite grasp abstractly the topographical differences. In the end, it was perfectly clear that I was going up, up, and up. And only then on the way out did I go down, down, down. Even then going down takes a lot of muscle control. Going up takes good lung capacity. Can you say aerobic?

4) Eat a snack and drink water on the trail whether you think you are hungry/thirsty or not.

5) DH's walking stick was indispensible, as was the rainjacket he gave me as a parting gift.

Ok, who's going with me next time?

Manners on Monday Update:

Link to Trail Etiquette on Emily Post Institute Website :)

4 comments:

  1. Did you go alone? Those downhills are hard on the bladder ;-) Sounds like a fun time. Wish I'd been able to go too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I did not and would not go alone! One of my long-time walking buddies went.

    Thankfully my bladder was not having any problems....this time...but I know what you mean.

    I think you would have enjoyed it as I did your family adventure apple picking.

    Loved those photos from facebook.

    See you in 13 short weeks.

    Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No baiting and switching here. The book of the same title comes into play for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dana,
    I am so impressed and 'proud' of you!!!!
    Congratulations on completing your awesome adventure!

    Now you must read the book "Follow the River". It is really an amazing book that includes a very long hike. It is a true story and quite harrowing.

    ReplyDelete