Sunday, September 09, 2007

Sermon Synopsis

Three sermons into the the second chapter of I Thessalonians, I continue to ponder these first century Christians and their response to Paul's testimony. I wonder if they were really that much different than I. It is clear to me that I accept the Word of God as authentic only by His Sovereign Grace as did they.

See I Thess 2:13

JCM concluded with an illustrative quote from Spurgeon which I will turn into my personal prayer.

Heavenly Father, bless me this week by teaching me through the power of your Holy Spirit to eat into the very soul of the Bible. Nourish me so deeply there that my language will be more Scriptural than last week; that my words be more flavored with the Lord's than ever before; and that my blood be Bible-colored so that the very essence of these Holy Writings will flow through and out of me into the lives of others.

And we were given John Piper's mnemonic device for boldly accepting/believing the Bible. Treat it a precious, pleasant, and practical by memorizing it, meditating upon it, making music with it, ministering with it, and minding it.

Hymn 267 from the Trinity Hymnal (O Word of God Incarnate) concluded our service. The words fit perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment