Saturday, November 17, 2007

Friday Five

Appetizer

What was your first “real” job?

After a very successful babysitting career beginning at age 10, I *quit* at age 16 and signed up as a clerk at a retail department store (Rich’s). Working there taught me a lot about customer service and uncomfortable shoes. I stuck with that career route through highschool and college. The best part was the extra 10% discount on purchases.


Soup

Where do you go to spark your creativity.

The refrigerator. Here's what happens when I do.

Salad

Complete this sentence: I am embarrassed when…

I say the wrong thing. I have done this so many times, you would think I could learn. It's embarassing!

Main Course

What values did your parents instill in you?

I cant think of a value they didnt instill in me. They are excellent parents. They even tried to teach me to *think before you speak!* Read here my list of parenting pet peeves all of which I learned from them.

Dessert

Name 3 fads from your teenage years.

That would have been 1971 - 1977..........hmmm.

Seeing that I’m not very fad-conscious (that means, I’m always behind in figuring out what the fad is - note the previous post as support for my claim), I find this question difficult to answer.

In addition, I am still trying to chose one book that changed my life, a question Donna's Friday Five has asked before and I skipped answering even then.

Plus I cant remember.

It's embarassing :)

2 comments:

  1. I am not very fad conscious either.
    I had to think rather hard about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First "real" job - like you, I started babysitting pretty young, and then my daddy owned his own business, so I spent a lot of time doing secretarial and janitorial stuff for him before he finally started letting me do real work, which I loved. I still can't figure out why I didn't major in chemisty in college. Daddy was a chemist and had an analytical and consultation business and I loved working in the lab. But my first real job outside of that was working the fountain and grill at Swenson's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Parlour. I LOVED making the ice cream sundaes and the sandwiches and all that stuff, and LOVED eating the mistakes. Six months later, after having put on ten pounds, I quit.
    :-p

    Creativity? What's that?

    I'm embarrassed when...
    After years of being a terribly shy and easily embarrassed person I guess I've finally developed a thick skin. I can't remember when I was embarrassed last, though I remember being absolutely mortified the time I said something very rude about a man I used to know to an acquaintance, and it turned out the man was her grandfather! YIKES!

    Values: I'll just mention one thing... it's on my mind because I've had company this week (Bound by Grace Valerie and her kids) and it came up in conversation. As I mentioned above my daddy owned his own business so we had no money the whole time I was growing up. We had no insurance, but my mom was good with home remedies and we just didn't go to the doctor unless we had a broken bone or pneumonia or something like that. In addition we never asked for public assistance - no free school lunches, though we certainly qualified for them; no letting people know we couldn't afford Christmas presents this year (again). My daddy used to say that "The government exists to defend the shores and deliver the mail... and I'm not too sure about the mail." This idea of personal responsibility, not only being responsible for your own needs but then not complaining about what you lack, is deeply ingrained into my whole way of seeing the world. I'm very grateful to them for it.

    Fads: Do you mean pop culture fads that other kids did, or stuff I did? I remember the big hair look (which I never did - I'm one of the few women my age who doesn't have pictures of herself from the eighties of which she is ashamed *grin*), and the trashy Flashdance look (can you tell I didn't do that one either? can you tell I'm a snob?), and, um, Styx and Air Supply.
    :-p

    ReplyDelete