Thursday, November 01, 2007

Hierarchy and Distinction

Chapter Two of Richard's Weaver's Ideas Have Consequences is just too chock full of references unfamiliar to me to ignore. So, today I will reveal some of my ignorances and tell you what I have been researching.

First, my query at the end of my first post about Richard Hertz.

Mr. Hertz is the author of a book, Man on a Rock: Why the World is the Way It is - Resentment. It was published in 1946, by the UNC Press, Chapel Hill, NC and readily available for purchase (used copies) at A Libris. The author contends that universal resentment was the cause of the mid 20th century's barbarism and that the responsiblity for it was shared by the whole of Western Civilization. Remember our Weaver was North Carolina born.


Second, I was intrigued by the word *hierarchy* and read about Maslow's Hierarchy of Design. I have contended in comments section of our book club discussion that Weaver is reacting to scientific rationalism, so it was interesting to me (born after 1948) to find this image:















Today (11/23/07) I include a link to an Jay Adam's essay about being *overly critical* I was tickled to note his reference to Maslow's pyramid.

Third, the phrase *ladder to high design* was not one I used routinely, but I understand the meaning in the context of the chapter. Nevertheless, Weaver uses it so freely, I'm thinking where did he get that?

It is a quote of Ulysses' from Triolus and Cressida, in which the Hero explains the mishaps of the Greeks before Troy as resulting from their neglect of "order" in plan and attack.


O' when degree is shak'd
Which is the ladder of all high designs,
The enterprise is sick. How could communities,



There is more the that last sentence, but isnt that cool? There's our reference.

I've never read that story. Have you?

Last but not least (and not really the last one I investigated, but the last one I'll write about) is *The Thomas Jefferson Education*. Funny how this guy who penned the *all men are created equal* spent so much time and energy denying it in his educational methodology.

Do you own or have you read Oliver Van Demille's 2006 book?

Well, Cindy? Are we moving ahead to reviewing Chapter Three: Fragmentation and Obsession?

Set the date.

I'll be ready.

3 comments:

  1. I have not started chapter 3 yet. You were more successful than I was in finding The Man on a Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasnt easy to find him.

    I kept getting directed to the former head of the Art Dept at one of the Universities of California.........and I just dont think it's the same guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm getting so much vicarious pleasure from your studies.

    Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete